Work with Us
About GHC’s Chair, Board of Directors Opportunity
GHC’s Board of Directors plays a critical role in the governance, financial stewardship and strategic direction of the organization, registered as a 501c3 in the United States. As our current Board Chair enters the final 18 months of her 8-year tenure on GHC’s Board of Directors, we are recruiting for our next Chair of GHC’s board of directors.
The selected candidate will be invited to join as a member of the board and will be mentored by our current Chair until the existing Chair’s tenure has ended in December 2024.
GHC’s current board of directors is comprised of highly-respected professionals, serving in a volunteer capacity, from a range of disciplines. Board members are passionate and committed to GHC’s mission and values. GHC’s next board Chair should share this passion and commitment to GHC’s mission and values, bring high reputational value to the organization, coupled with enthusiasm to champion GHC as a thriving, inclusive coalition committed to impact and operational sustainability. The ideal candidate will have a demonstrated track record of non-profit board service, ideally in an officer or chair position. Expertise in global health policy and familiarity with GHC’s members are a plus.
See next page for details on the role, responsibilities, desired qualifications, and how to apply.
Role and Responsibilities
Governance and Oversight
- In partnership with the CEO and Vice-Chair (and Executive Committee as applicable) set agendas for meetings of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee.
- Preside at all meetings of the Board (2x/year) and Executive Committee (approximately 4x/year).
- Ensure compliance of Board members with bylaws and all board governance policies and best practices, including conflict of interest.
- Oversee the effectiveness of governance of GHC, including:
- Ensure that appropriate procedures and board members (including officers and committee chairs) are in place to govern the Board’s operation;
- Ensure that decisions are taken on a sound and well-informed basis, including by ensuring that all strategic and critical issues are considered by the Board,
- Ensure that Directors receive relevant information on a timely basis;
- Encourage healthy discussion and ensure that dissenting views can be freely expressed and discussed;
- Lead efforts to address the Board’s developmental needs;
- Foster a culture of active participation and engagement by all board members in board committees and activities; and
- Encourage a culture of board giving so that 100 percent of GHC’s board members make an annual contribution that is commensurate with their capacity.
- Serve as an ex-officio voting member of any committee of GHC.
- Manage annual performance review of CEO and provide feedback on goals. Manage CEO leadership transitions as needed, including selection of new CEO as needed.
- With a healthy balance of continuity and innovation, serve as advisor, thought partner and support to CEO in realizing GHC’s strategic vision.
- Serve as ambassador and representative for GHC to external stakeholders and audiences
- In collaboration with the CEO, and other board members as applicable, identify and cultivate major individual donors, corporate, and/or foundation gifts to secure GHC’s overall financial health.
- Demonstrated commitment to GHC mission and values. Chair must have positive reputational value to GHC mission and values, where service doesn’t present conflict of interest to other professional obligations;
- Extensive professional experience with significant executive leadership accomplishments in business, government, philanthropy, private sector, and/or the nonprofit sector;
- Demonstrated success on a non-profit board, ideally in an Officer or Chair function;
- Familiarity with the GHC mission and its members;
- Commitment and demonstrated expertise in global health policy and/or advocacy;
- A leadership style reflective of strong diplomacy and reconciliation skills, forging alignment and coherence;
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills and meeting management skills;
- Cross-cultural competency.
Appointment and Eligibility
- The Board shall appoint the Chair of GHC, with primary regard to their skills, expertise, and experience, having a good understanding and experience in the industry and corporate governance issues.
- The person so appointed must not have served as the GHC CEO in the past five years and must not be the Chair of any other boards of directors.
- The Chair is expected to spend sufficient time necessary to fulfill their duties.
- The Chair will serve a two-year term, with the potential for renewal up until the termination of their second term.
Please send a cover letter and CV to firstname.lastname@example.org.