- This event has passed.
Toward Value-Based Care: What Will it Take to Transform Health Systems?
February 6 @ 9:30 am - 11:00 am
Organized by the Center for Global Development
Toward Value-Based Care:
What Will it Take to Transform Health Systems?
Thursday, February 6, 2020
9:30 AM – 11:00 AM
2055 L St NW
Registration opens at 9:00 am.
Health systems around the world can suffer from a crisis of distrust; patients may question the quality of government clinics and newspapers expose private hospitals for peddling unnecessary procedures. These are symptoms of volume-based health systems that focus on the quantity of care delivered rather than quality or outcomes. Many countries are accelerating down this path. Hospital construction sometimes surpasses growth of primary care infrastructure. New insurance schemes sometimes expand access to inpatient treatment, without equivalent expansion of community-based prevention. These approaches create lasting structural flaws which increase costs without delivering desired results. As countries commit to universal health coverage (UHC), there is a narrow window to chart a different trajectory toward the common goal of achieving the best health outcomes for the resources invested.
This event will focus on how countries can adopt value-based care—which combines best practices in measurement, delivery, and payment to align incentives of patients, payers, and providers. Panelists will reflect on the feasibility of value-based care in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs), share innovative models from the public and private sectors, and highlight important opportunities to experiment and build the evidence base. This conversation follows the launch of a landscape report on the potential of value-based care in LMICs called Leapfrog to Value.
- Amy Bassano, Deputy Director, Center for Medicare and Medicaid Innovation
- Margaret Kruk, Associate Professor of Global Health, Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Amy Lin, Acting Director, Center for Innovation and Impact, United States Agency for International Development
- Chintan Maru, Founder and Executive Director, Leapfrog to Value
- Shivani Ranchod, Co-Founder and CEO, Percept
- Amanda Glassman, Executive Vice President and Senior Fellow, CGD