- This event has passed.
Empathy: The Emperor's New Clothes — or Public Health's Emerging Superhero?
June 27, 2018 @ 11:30 am - 1:00 pm
Organized by Matchboxology and USAID’s Center for Innovation and Impact & sponsored by the Medtronic Foundation
11:30 AM – 1:00 PM EDT
The Loft at 600 F, 600 F Street Northwest
Is empathy just another new age buzzword? Or, is it delivering more user-friendly and impactful public health programming and measurable impact on community wellness? Matchboxology and the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID’s) Center for Innovation and Impact (CII), invite you to join us in a debate of the evidence to date, guided by a roundtable of experts in global health and empathy, on Wednesday, June 27, 11:30AM-1:00PM at The Loft at 600 F Street, Washington DC.
USAID, The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, DFID, and other major development partners are increasingly calling out human-centered and user-centered design thinking to fuel innovation in public health programming. Empathy lies at the heart of these approaches and is often cited as a critical factor in delivering exceptional success, growth, and productivity. This is the perfect time for global health program designers and implementers to engage in thought leadership on the impact of empathy in global health and how we might best apply and measure it.
Introduction and Welcome:
1) Jessica Daly, Senior Portfolio Lead of Global Health at the Medtronic Foundation
2) Amy Lin, Acting Deputy Director at CII
1) Prof. Paul Bloom, Bestselling Author of “Against Empathy” and Professor at Yale University
2) Thomas J. Coates, PhD, Director at the UCLA Center for World Health and University of California Global Health Institute
3) Dr. Mark Dybul, Professor at Georgetown University Medical Center and former Director of the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria
4) Elizabeth Fox, Senior Advisor at USAID’s Bureau for Global Health and Deputy and Coordinator for Maternal and Child Survival
5) Rosaura Polanco, Promotora at Grameen PrimaCare USA
Moderator: Cal Bruns, Founder and Chief Innovationist at Matchboxology