- This event has passed.
Educating Health Workers to Meet Today's Needs and Tomorrow's Challenges
March 1, 2018 @ 8:15 am - 11:00 am
Organized by IntraHealth International
8:15 AM – 11:00 AM
National Press Club
Join IntraHealth in Washington DC for an expert panel and discussion on what it takes to prepare health workers around the world to meet the evolving healthcare needs of their communities. Panelists will give us a bird’s-eye view of the shifting landscape of health worker training and education, emerging trends, the changing roles of nurses, and more.
1) Rebecca Kohler of IntraHealth International will introduce the panelists and give opening remarks.
2) Allison Annette Foster of IntraHealth International will moderate the discussion.
3) Dr. Andreas Blom of the World Bank and Dr. Ok Pannenborg will discuss the shift away from a top-down, physician-centric paradigm, as well as the link between health education and labor markets.
4) Lois Schaefer of USAID will share the agency’s experiences in the education and training of health workers and highlight best practices and innovative approaches, including the growing role of the private sector as a partner in building local capacity.
5) Dr. Gwen Sherwood of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Nursing will discuss the Nursing Now campaign and how nurses are shaping education and regulation policies to advance universal health coverage.
6) Dr. Susan Michaels-Strasser of ICAP at Columbia University will share effective approaches that low- and middle-income countries are using to build leadership competencies among nurses, and how nurses are using their influence to improve community health.