- This event has passed.
Achieving UHC: A Sustainable Future for Africa
September 23, 2019 @ 12:00 pm EDT
Organized by The Access Challenge
A Sustainable Future for Africa
Monday, September, 23, 2019
4: 00 PM
New York, New York
This year, in order to take advantage of the fact that the United Nations is hosting two high-level meetings – one on UHC and and one on Climate Action – the Access Challenge, as part of our new One by One: Target 2030 campaign, will host its annual high-level conference on the nexus between UHC and the climate action.
Our conference, ‘Achieving UHC: A Sustainable Future for Africa’, will catalyze conversations on how best to translate the dual calls of Africa Agenda 2063 and SDG 2030 into UHC in Africa. We are bringing leaders from across both the UHC and environmental sectors to define and contextualize the meaning of UHC in Africa in order to draw on the best practices, gaps, synergies, and object lessons to develop a roadmap for the way forward.
The One by One 2019 Conference will take place on the sidelines of the United Nations General Assembly. Participants will include: African Heads of State, Ministers of Health, Environment, Finance, Transportation, Energy, and Education, Ambassadors to the United Nations, heads of donor agencies, multilateral and bilateral development partners and foundation leaders, private sector CEOs, entrepreneurs and innovators, NGO leaders, civil society representatives, and youth activists.
The conference will bring these leaders together in order to:
- Share perspectives on what UHC means in an African context.
- Highlight high-level leadership in the collective march towards UHC in Africa.
- Underscore the importance of developing and investing in resilient and robust PHC systems.
- Highlight existing commitments like the African Declaration on Immunization and demonstrate the critical role collective action plays in the drive for UHC.
- Focus on clean water access, WASH, and sanitation strategies for policymakers.
- Highlight and catalyze system-wide product innovation.
- Share the best practices of prevention, mitigation, and adaptation to equip communities with the tools to respond to the health effects of climate change.
- Highlight sustainable public-private sector collaboration and innovation for UHC.
Following the conference, a high-level dinner will spotlight the leadership of African presidents on achieving UHC.
- Registration: 4:00 pm
- Opening Session: 4:15 pm
- Panel Discussions: 5:30 pm | I. Clean Water Access and Sanitation II. Clean Air and Health III. Nutrition, Agriculture, and Health IV. Innovation: Prevention, Diagnosis, Delivery and Treatment V. Responsive and Resilient Communities & Primary Health Systems
- Networking Reception, Entertainment & Exhibition Hall: 6:30 pm
- High Level Dinner & Announcement Platform: 7:30 pm