- This event has passed.
15 Years of PEPFAR: Advancing Strategic Health Diplomacy
July 9 @ 10:30 am - 12:00 pm
Organized by the Bipartisan Policy Center
10:30 AM – 12:00 PM
Newseum, 555 Pennsylvania Ave NW
No program better demonstrates the power of a well-executed global health initiative than the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR). PEPFAR’s success over the past fifteen years shows that the potential of global health programs stretches beyond improving health outcomes to also contributing toward U.S. national security objectives.
Join the Bipartisan Policy Center on July 9 for the release of a new report and a discussion with Sens. Tom Daschle and Bill Frist and other leaders on the impacts of PEPFAR, the importance of continuing U.S. investments in global health, and how these investments can be one of the country’s most effective diplomatic tools.
1) Sen. Tom Daschle | Co-Founder, BPC; Former Senate Majority Leader
2) Sen. Bill Frist, M.D. | Senior Fellow, BPC; Former Senate Majority Leader
3) Gen. (Ret.) Charles Wald | Former Deputy Commander, United States European Command; Co-Chair, National Security Program, BPC
4) Amb. Deborah Birx, M.D. | U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator & U.S. Special Representative for Global Health Diplomacy
5) Amb. Mark C. Storella | Former U.S. Ambassador to Zambia
6) Michael Gerson | Senior Advisor, The ONE Campaign
7) Charles Holmes, M.D. | Former Deputy U.S. Global AIDS Coordinator