The new GHC Board of Directors, whom were elected last December, met February 13 and 14 to take initial steps toward re-establishing GHC as a leading voice for global health. We are looking forward to working with you, the members, to reimage and revitalize the organization with a commitment to advocacy, transparency, and responsiveness to all. Following each board meeting, minutes will be posted within one week on the GHC website.
These times call for the kind of leadership in which a reinvigorated GHC can provide. The impact of global health investments is visible in countries around the world yet fiscal challenges threaten to squander the enormous potential. GHC not only recognizes the need for tangible progress in critical health areas, we also focus on cross-cutting issues such as health diplomacy and protecting and expanding resources for the entire global health portfolio.
Over the next six months, the board will seek input from members to develop strategic priorities. We intend to take steps to re-establish a vibrant GHC. As we develop our new mission and priorities, the board is embarking on an initial set of actions for the coming weeks that includes:
- Jump starting education and advocacy activities with the Administration and Capitol Hill. This work will provide opportunities for GHC members to engage on policy and funding issues, with support from a leading Washington, D.C. policy and advocacy consulting group.
- Co-sponsoring the Global Health Traveling Experience during Global Health week on March 4 and 5 in Washington, D.C. with strategic alliance partner, Washington Global Health Alliance. Learn more at http://www.wghalliance.org.
- Partnering with the Consortium of Universities for Global Health (CUGH) on their March 14-16 Washington, D.C. conference. GHC members can receive a one-day special rate of $200 on March 14. At the event, GHC is hosting an exciting panel entitled Forging Strong Relationships between Faith and Secular Global Health Programs at 4:30 pm. More at http://www.cugh.org
- Also at CUGH on March 14, at 6:30 pm following the GHC panel, we will host a special meet and greet with the GHC Board and members that are registered for the event. We invite all GHC members and interested parties to come discuss year one priorities and engage in an open dialogue.
- Representation at the World Health Assembly, May 20-25, in Geneva, Switzerland. More details will be announced as available.
- Initiating a monthly e-mail update and ongoing social media communications to keep our members up-to-date on news in the field and the ongoing activities of the organization.
Within the next several months we will host a virtual community town hall meeting for GHC members and others to discuss global health issues and priorities for the new GHC. If you have any further questions or would like to lean more, we invite you to call GHC’s Secretariat Ann Canela, at (202-368-1353), or via e-mail (firstname.lastname@example.org), or you may contact any of the Board members through the GHC Secretariat. We look forward to our work together over the coming years.
With warmest wishes on behalf of the GHC Board of Directors,
Jonathan Quick, MD, MPH
Chair, GHC Board of Directors