This year, Global Health Council (GHC) is hosting a delegation to the 142nd Session of the World Health Organization (WHO)’s Executive Board (EB) Session. The EB Session is currently in progress in Geneva, Switzerland and will conclude on January 27. The full agenda, associated documents, along with the live-webcast link can be accessed at GHC’s events calendar.
Discussion and debate of WHO’s Draft Thirteenth General Programme of Work (GPW) will emphasize three priorities: 1 billion more people with health coverage; 1 billion more people made safer from health emergencies, and 1 billion more people enjoying better health and well-being. WHO, under the leadership of Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, the Director General of the organization, plans to reshape its operations, and place greater importance on accountability and impact. The organization intends to use the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) as a foundation for its global health priorities.
As we speak, the following speakers from the GHC delegation are preparing to read their statements at the WHO EB Session. Each of the statements corresponds to specific agenda items featured in the Provisional Agenda (EB 142/1) and are submitted by GHC member organizations.
1) 3.1: Draft 13th General Programme of Work 2019-2023 – The joint statement from GHC supported by ACTION and Frontline Health Workers Coalition will be read by Danielle Heiberg, Global Health Council.
2) 3.3: Public Health Preparedness and Response – This joint statement from GHC supported by PATH, Global Health Technologies Coalition (GHTC), American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), and Infectious Diseases Society of America (IDSA) will be read by Philippe Guinot, PATH.
3) 3.4 Polio Transition Planning – This joint statement from GHC supported by PATH, ACTION, RESULTS UK, and AAP will be read by Philippe Guinot, PATH.
4) 3.6 Addressing the Global Shortage of, and Access to, Medicines and Vaccines – This joint statement from GHC supported by PATH, AAP, and NCD Child will be read by Mychelle Yvette Farmer, NCD Child.
5) 3.7 Global Strategy and Plan of Action on Public Health, Innovation and Intellectual Property – This joint statement from GHC, supported by IDSA, will be read by Rabita Aziz, IDSA.
6) 3.8 Preparation for the Third High-level Meeting of the General Assembly on the Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs), to be held in 2018 – This joint statement from Global Health Council, supported by NCD Child, AAP, and IFPA, will be ready by Mychelle Yvette Farmer, NCD Child.
7) 3.9 Preparation for the High-Level Meeting of the General Assembly on Ending Tuberculosis – This joint statement from GHC, supported by IDSA, will be read by Rabita Aziz, IDSA.
8) 4.2 Physical Activity for Health – This joint statement by GHC supported by AAP and NCD Child will be read by Mychelle Yvette Farmer, NCD Child.
9) 4.3 Global Strategy for Women’s, Children’s and Adolescents’ Health (2016-2030): Early Childhood Development – This joint statement by GHC supported by AAP and NCD Child will be read by Mychelle Yvette Farmer, NCD Child.
10) 4.4 mHealth – This joint statement from GHC supported by Living Goods will be read by Annie Toro, United States Pharmacopeia.
11) 4.6.1 Comprehensive Implementation Plan on Maternal, Infant and Young Child Nutrition: Biennial Report – This joint statement from GHC supported by AAP and NCD Child will be read by Mychelle Yvette Farmer, NCD Child.
Make sure to follow @GlobalHealthOrg on Twitter to stay informed of live updates from our delegates and partners attending the Session.